If you’ve read Virtue of Death, your mouth was likely watering at the thought of all the goodies in Sera’s bakery. Especially the angel wing cookies.
Here’s a little secret… I made up angel wing cookies. At least the ones used in the book.
Completely and totally mine.
When I finished the manuscript after four and a half months of sleepless nights, constant editing and worrying, I had to celebrate somehow. I made angel wing cookies a reality.
Best of all, they are just as good as you’d expect.
What you’ll need to make them:
- Package of puff pastry (or if you’re feeling frisky, make your own puff pastry)
- Melted butter and pastry brush
- Brown sugar
- Hazelnuts (or nut of your choice), roughly chopped (optional)
- Large sugar crystals (I like using blue and green to represent the two types of angel in the book)
NOTE: I didn’t give amounts because depending on if you are using one sheet of puff pastry or not, or to your tastes, your amounts may differ. Make these to your tastes, not mine.
- Preheat oven to instructions for puff pastry.
- Roll out puff pastry and use a cookie cutter to cut out. I’ve tried wing shaped cookie cutters, but only half actually work out the way I want them. I’d suggest going with a simple circle or something. If I ever find a wing cookie cutter that works well, I’ll be sure to post a link.
- Place the cut-out cookies onto a cookie sheet.
- Mix melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg together.
- Brush cookies with melted butter mixture.
- Sprinkle large sugar crystals over the cookies.
- If using nuts, roughly chop the nuts and sprinkle on top of the cookies.
- Bake according to puff pastry instructions.
Voila! You have my angel wing cookies. You can munch on them while you read the book.
Purchase Virtue of Death
Available in e-book and paperback.